Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Chapter 1 – The Gathering

With Explorer’s Club application and references in hand, you make the drive to the estate of Dr. Milton Mercury. It is located outside of Valhalla, New York, near the grounds the former U.S. Military hospital now called Grasslands Hospital. The estate has spacious grounds and a sizable mansion at the end of a long drive. A few moderately sized outbuildings can be seen upon the grounds and a large barn can be seen looming behind the main house. It appears to be a recent addition based upon its style and modern building materials.
A sign is posted on the gate that reads “1 Mercury Drive”.  As you turn in and approach the mansion, you notice several cars are parked along the drive. Passengers are disembarking and heading toward the door. It appears that the other applicants are just arriving as well.
All of the player characters are currently standing in the drive. Having seen the article in the paper, Jack Brattle, Bear Grissom, Dr. Thackery T. Lambshead and Justin Tylmaronde are all here to apply for the expedition. Howard Renfield Tempest III, also seeing the article, is here to check on his investment with Dr. Mercury. He gave the man a fair sum of money and has not heard from him for a few weeks. This whole proceeding strikes him as highly irregular. A few others applicants are also present.
(This would be a good time to introduce yourselves and set the tone for your characters.)

11 comments:

  1. Pip pip gentleman, Doctor Thackery T. Lambshead here, at your service, pleased to meet you. I'm a physician by trade, and I'm looking for a bit of adventure before this whole thing breaks in the U.K., nasty business those damned Nazis, and I'm always on the job looking for opportunities for more research. Have any of you had prior dealings with this Explorers Club, or our host Dr. Mercury?

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Lookit this collection of misfits,* Justin muses. *At least I wont be the oddball on this expedition*

    "Damn glad to meetcha, Doc," says Justin, shaking Lambshead's hand. "Good to see a man of medicine along for the ride. Name's Tylmaronde, Justin Tylmaronde. I was a lawman and a private detective, but I wouldn't mind adding 'adventurer' to my resume."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bear steps away from the motorcycle that brought him to this place and whistles loudly.

    "Now these are some impressive digs, I'll say that," he exclaims, a slight Irish burr present in his voice.

    He slaps the road dust from his trousers, straightens his leather jacket, and pulls his cap more firmly on his crimson-topped head as he ambles up to the group and gladly joins the round of introductions, doling out handshakes that don't quite manage to break anybody's limbs.

    "Name's Grissom, but you can call me Bear. Pleased to meet'cha. Don't know anything 'bout this Mercury fella, but if he's got the green to own a pad like this, I'm willing to take a gander at his offer."

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Oh good, they are hireing a cro-magnon to act as a porter on this expedition," Mr. Tempest says rather sarcastically while looking over at Grissom. "At least this brings a measure of safety."

    "Dr. Lambshead, eh? And just what are you a doctor of sir?" he asks as he extends his hand for a proper greeting of someone who appears to be a proper gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bear's face creases into a beatific smile.

      "I can tell by your voice you're one of them high-society fellers," Bear replies with a pleasant tone. "It's truly inspiring to see how, with enough money, anyone can overcome their shortcomings."

      Delete
  5. As he takes Tempests' hand "Why Sir, I am a medical doctor and surgeon who specializes in rare diseases. I am also a collector of oddities and the stories behind them, and assayed this 'Explorer’s Club' might afford opportunities to advance my agendas." Continuing, "And what, prey tell, do you bring to this association?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Diseases eh?" he replies as they part the shake. "That is interesting. Still, it is good to have a Surgeon around." He turns to the door and (rap-rap-rap)'s on it with the head of his cane. "Doctor, my company is financing what is quickly proving to be Mercury's waste of valuable assets. Weeks without a single word, BAH!"

      Delete
  6. Wally says: Hi i'm wally. probably not famous in these parts, but i wa s on radio and doing vaudville. did a stint in the army after i escaped from school. now i guess some of us are going to team up to 'adventure' I figure that it will give me something to talk about. Does anyone know what they mean by 'Adventure?'

    and he heads towards the gate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who are you? If you would like to play I need you to contact me at 1970zombie@gmail.com. I would like to have a copy of your character and a background. I will also need to set you up with the proper permissions and notification settings for this blog.

      Delete
  7. On behalf of AlexK

    Aa...Low. Pleased to meecha. I'se Jock Brattle, hunter by trade. Been huntin and trapping fer the last decade or more. Ah know me way around the woods and kin keep folks fed and warm while they out wid me. Ah ain't exactly shabby wid me guns neither.

    I reckon we should find out where we'se headed. Need to know iffn I should get a hatchet or a machete. An no. I ain't never even heard of the Explorers Club or the Doc before this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, guess I should mention. I usta drive fer a moonshiner back when. He thought I was a good driver.

    ReplyDelete